North Star Law

I was injured while visiting New South Wales – can I claim compensation?

If you are a visitor to New South Wales and suffer injury, you may be able to claim compensation under the laws of New South Wales, even if you live in another state of Australia or overseas.

Unfortunately, many visitors suffer injuries while travelling or staying in New South Wales.  Sometimes tourists are injured in car accidents, while at work, or in a fall at a public place.  The law that applies is the law of the place where the injury occurred.


If you have been injured in Sydney or New South Wales it is important that you receive expert legal advice from a lawyer with knowledge of the compensation scheme in New South Wales.  At North Star Law we are experts in compensation and have been assisting people injured in car accidents, at work, in public places or due to medical negligence for more than 20 years.


If you are injured in a car accident in New South Wales, the first thing to do is to ensure the accident is reported to the Police.  You need to know the registration details of the vehicles involved.  Regardless of fault, you can obtain up to $5,000 for your medical treatment and lost wages by lodging an Accident Notification Form with the CTP insurer of the vehicle that caused the accident.  If the accident was caused by the fault of another driver, then you may be entitled to a much larger pool of compensation, depending on the nature of your injuries and the impact on your life.  Children under 16 who are injured in car accidents in New South Wales have additional entitlements regardless of fault for payment of medical expenses.

If you are injured at work in New South Wales you may have rights to compensation under the Workers Compensation Scheme.  The first step is to see a doctor and to lodge a claim form with your employer.  You may receive weekly payments to replace your lost income, medical expenses and sometimes a lump sum for a permanent impairment.

If you have been injured in a shopping centre, hotel or club, sporting facility or other public places you may be able to bring a public liability claim in relation to your injuries.  Generally, in New South Wales we have a fault-based system of compensation.  Essentially you must prove you are injured due to fault or negligence on behalf of the owner or management of the public place.

If you were injured in New South Wales please contact North Star Law for advice about your entitlements to a claim for compensation and the time limits that apply.