North Star Law

What is the difference between compulsory third party insurance and third-party property insurance?

When a car is registered in New South Wales, the owner must take out compulsory third party (CTP) insurance. This is colloquially known as Green Slip insurance. Green Slip insurance covers the driver for injuries they might cause to other people.

If you are injured in a car accident, you may be entitled to claim compensation under the Green Slip scheme. Each case is different and our compensation lawyers at North Star Law can advise you about your entitlements. You may be entitled to compensation for pain and suffering, lost wages, medical expenses and care.

The CTP scheme is managed in New South Wales by the State Insurance Regulatory Authority (SIRA).

  • The CTP scheme does not cover damage to your car or other property; for example, the cost of panel beating, smash repair or the write-off value of your car.
  • It also does not cover damage to items in the car such as child seat restraints, mobile phones or sunglasses.

Third party property damage insurance covers property damage caused to another person or vehicle in an accident. It is not compulsory to take out third party property insurance in New South Wales. If the driver at fault in your accident does not have third party property damage insurance, you can either claim through your own comprehensive insurer or you choose to take steps to recover the value of the damage from the driver at fault which sometimes requires legal action.

If you have been injured in a car accident our lawyers at North Star Law can advise you about the process of compensation and your rights.