North Star Law

How to find out the CTP (greenslip) insurer of the vehicle that caused my accident?

If you are injured in a car accident in New South Wales, you may be entitled to bring a claim for compensation under the compulsory third party (CTP) scheme.

In most cases, the claim is made against the CTP insurer of the vehicle that caused the accident.

  • The first step is to ensure the accident is reported to police and to consult a doctor in relation to your injuries.
  • You also need to know the registration number of the vehicle that caused the accident.
  • The next step is to lodge an Accident Notification Form or Personal Injury Claim Form with the insurer.
  • Time limits apply so it is best to act quickly to give notice of the claim to the correct insurance company.

We are often asked how you find out which insurance company is the CTP insurer of the vehicle that caused your accident?

You can either check online at or you can telephone the State Insurance Regulatory Authority on 1300 656 919.

Once you know which insurance company it is (for example Allianz, NRMA, QBE, Suncorp) you can then complete the form and arrange for your doctor to complete the medical certificate. The completed form should then be sent by mail or email to the insurance company. It is important to keep a copy of the form.

If the vehicle was registered in another state of Australia, your claim will be against the insurer in that state. In some states, the CTP scheme is managed by a sole insurer. In Victoria, for example, all claims are lodged with the Transport Accident Commission (TAC).

Our lawyers at North Star Law can assist you with this process and advise you whether you can make a claim for compensation following a car accident. Contact us today!